I’m swimming in eggs. It’s a great problem to have especially after a long cold winter. During the winter my hens get discouraged from laying due to the short dark days and cold weather. I spent most of the winter scrounging for eggs. This past winter I actually pleaded with the hens to try a little harder to help out with my Christmas baking. But to no avail. Eggs are just naturally scarce in the winter. But come the spring – voila!
More eggs than I can handle. It’s all a part of the natural rhythm of agrarian life.
One of my favorite ways to make good use of lots of eggs is with rice pudding and pound cake.
Pound cake freezes very well and makes a wonderful last-minute hostess gift or quick dessert. If you need to use up lots of eggs here’s my recipe. I’ve provided 2 recipes – one for “normal” baking and one for “batch” baking.
RECIPE FOR 2 LOAF POUND CAKES
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 cups white sugar
- 2 sticks butter softened
- 6 eggs room temperature
- ½ pint of yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 325º. Grease and dust 2 loaf pans with flour.
- Sift flour twice onto wax paper before measuring. Measure out 3 level cups off flour and set aside.
- Cream the softened butter and sugar with an electric or hand mixer in a large bowl. Light and fluffy is what you’re going for.
- In another smaller bowl mix the baking soda into the yogurt and stir very well and set aside.
- Now add the eggs one at a time into the butter and sugar mixture (3 at a time for larger recipe) and mix well after each addition.
- Next, alternating add the sifted flour and yogurt into the creamed butter and sugar.
- Mix well between additions. Add the vanilla extract and mix slightly until well incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Pour into loaf pans and shake and tap sides of pan to level batter.
Bake for 1-½ hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
Cool for about 5 – 10 minutes before removing from pan. This recipe makes 2 loaf pound cakes or 1 angel food or bunt pan type cake.
Pound cake will store well in the freezer for almost a year – maybe a little less. Sour cream may be substituted for yogurt. Sour cream makes for a richer cake.
If using an angel food cake pan grease only bottom and funnel of the angel food pan. Do not grease the sides.
Below is the recipe using 2 dozen (24) eggs. It yields 8 regular size loaf cakes or 4 good size tube cakes.
RECIPE FOR 8 LOAF POUND CAKES
- 12 cups of all-purpose flour
- 12 cups of white sugar
- 2 lbs or 8 sticks of butter
- 24 eggs
- 1 quart of yogurt or sour cream
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
Prepare and bake as above.